Thursday, May 05, 2011

MALE CHAUVINIST PIGS? Think again...



It's been an age since I penned down something. But an aftermath struck my head and I couldn't help putting my words together.

It was a normal working Friday 'I don't want to go to work', I said to myself. Then the thought of the salary day struck my head and I ran to make my way to work. I had my Nokia 2310 for company that day; a simple phone with a kickass radio. I popped in my 'shiny white earphones' (My mom says that), and off I went in the rickshaw.



I reached Kurla and couldn't help wonder looking at the massive crowd gather at the station. 'Have all the people of the world descended here alone?' Baby steps, one at a time, I walked all the way to the last platform where I take a train to work. Trains were unusally packed that day, though it being a weekend. People were just running helter-skelter while I took some refuge near the pantry store to pick up some chocolates :D



I remembered my dad; he was the one who urged me to take a First Class pass and I like one Maharaja stood where the First class compartment comes. I continued with my 'Radio Classics' and was humming some tunes, whilst peeping into other people's newspapers. I left the first few locals after checking out the amazing crowd on rooftops and ladies compartments; I decided to wait for a more empty train.




"Help me, help me.., I heard a faint noise and suddenly there was a gathering on the platform. A mediocre, fair lady was bleeding profusely from the head. Like any other Mumbaikar the curious cat sprung up and I decided to ask people what had happened. "Voh train mein bohot bheedh thi, kisi ne dhakka maar diya, voh rod laga madam ko aur seedhe platform pe giri", a passer-by went on non-stop. I tried peeping in to check the well-being of the woman. She was semi-concision, crying in pain, asking for help.



I saw three women approach the bleeding lady. One of them held her head, the second one started rubbing her feet to keep her concious, while the third provided her with water. A few men stood there silent and watched as this went on. suddenly the first womans phone rang and she went to answer the call. She stood up and walked away after ten minutes, leaving the wounded woman. Slowly the second and third woman sneaked out sensing this could land as a police case.


The men who were spectators till now, rose to the occassion. They called the stretcher, dialled a number of the person, the woman wanted to speak with and provided her with first aid. There were six men who stood firm during that time, keeping the womans eyes open so that she be taken to the doctor. After a painful 30 minutes, the woman was finally taken away on a stretcher with a policeman. 


Six men, stood firm till the tide on the womans head surfaced. The women that were there, did their bit, a bit to let the world they cared, but moved away sensing danger. but those office-giong men, without thinking about any consequence, waited till matters were put to rest. I suddenly remembered somethng: I have heard many call men 'MALE CHAUVINIST PIGS', some even call them BASTARDS, HEARTLESS SOULS and what not. But what they fail to understand is that we have a heart too, a heart which cries when they see someone in pain, a heart which feels the ache of the other person, a heart that smiles when the other person smiles...a heart, YES WE HAVE A HEART!







2 comments:

  1. That's the spirit of Mumbai.Not all women are like those 3 ladies and not all men are like those 6 men.But Rahul, really a great post. Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree Deepak. But then are some who are ready and willing to stand firm, just for the sake of humanity and I respect them. Thanks for the encouragement. :)

    ReplyDelete